Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1st, 2008

Ironman AZ, WOW what a weekend!!! I think it was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people, most of which were Diabetics. Tour de Tuscon was great. Glad Pete Nerothin didn't sign me up for anything longer than 35 miles. Woe was my keaster sore. The 23rd I had a blast helping out the Triabetes team at the aid station. The team worked really hard, but no where near as hard as the athletes. I came to the realization that this Ironman thing was going to be a lot harder than I thought. I felt this way because while in Madison, WI we were there supporting the Triabetes 2008 team and while doing so I didn't notice near as much misery. The 2008 team made it look so easy, well, easy for an Ironman. I'm all signed up for 2009 so its official...HELP!!!!!!!!!

Today I got back in the saddle. Due to being so out of shape (or shapely depending on how you look at it) my hip flexor has limited my running over the past couple of weeks. So, I hit the bike this evening. Coach Ahn let me borrow the trainer that he borrowed from JohnnyVail last year. I feel very lucky to be next in line. Thanks guys!

It was a great ride. My two little guys (Benjamin who is 7 and Nicholas who is 5) were asking me to stop so they could have a turn. Since the weather didn't cooperate today "again" it was great having them there keeping me company.

Gotta swim tomorrow...I need to ask Nicholas in the morning if I can borrow his swimmies...

Cheers!

2 comments:

Brickhead said...

And so it begins! I love the quote "I came to the realization that this ironman thing will be harder than I thought" That alone will make this ironman thing doable because you will have fear pushing you for a whole year! As for the trainer - John GAVE it to me to get through IM and now I GIVE it to you. Enjoy! You really couldn't ask for worse weather to get a bike in - can't wait to get it out on the road. Thats where the fun really is. Good job starting the blog.

zircon said...

Great Blog post. I need to remember to get you the cow bell from Madison. Sorry to hear about your hip flexor. Rest it well and let it heal real good so we can get out running. Russ