Monday, December 8, 2008

The Week From HELL

I was driving down the busiest road in Boone at 7:15 this morning when all of a sudden I was coming up behind this guy riding his bike...I was thinking to myself, who is this nut? Got my answer, it was Ironman Steve...Go BUDDY...he won't let a 20 degree morning hold him back!!!
Wow last week was something else. I have been taking it easy due to my hip flexor issue, but I feel like last week was a total waste when it comes to my training.
One of the company's lead drivers was out for the week being put on Prozac...caught his fiance with another guy...what a bummer. I hate to say it, but we had plans to cut him loose last week due to his poor performance. So I don't know if he saw our ad in the paper or if he really did break up with his fiance...either way I wouldn't let my Mom call in for me. I'm trying to ease my conscious about still cutting him loose even though he might do something stupid to himself by telling myself that my partners and ops manager all agree that letting him go as soon as possible is the best thing for the company since he's still within his 90 day probationary period...so what does all this have to do with my training?
Well, the pool doesn't open until 6 and it closes at 9. So since I'm a driver down and our office manager is out on maternity leave I'm pulling their weight. At the office by 6:30 and entering A/P & A/R in the evenings once all of the loads are pulled. Oh and my best driver fell asleep at the wheel Friday. If he would have been going down the hill instead of up he would have gone off a 200 foot cliff.
Back to training...I did take the time to ride on the trainer 3x last week. But not being able to run far and not getting to swim I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards. Oh well, stressing about it won't help.
Our driver came back to work today, but he had another bad morning, so we sent him home early. I'm planning to get on the bike here in a few minutes to burn a little steam...I wish I had a punching bag...which reminds me...until this weekend I forgot how much of a stress reliever splitting wood can be. I won't tell you whose head I pretended the wood to be, but I really feel a lot better about things since I got it done. The family spent the weekend gathering and splitting about 3 cords of wood. So I guess that counts as upper body endurance training...4 hours Saturday and 2 hours Sunday...I really miss the pool...maybe I can fit it in somewhere this week. All I can do is tri.

Cheers!

4 comments:

agent nero said...

God bless our Boonies! You guys will never cease to crack me up.

zircon said...

Splittin' wood, that IS the workout. You are core strengthening like nobodie's business. Your body will thank you for that by not breaking down on you as easy. Of course you're not wearing tights, or fancy synthetic fabrics while you're doing it so it probably doesn't feel like a "real" workout. Hang in there...

Dave said...

what's wrong with wearing tights while you spit wood?

Brickhead said...

I've got tights on right now.